Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Standing Out in the Shadows

Finally made it back to our summer getaway on Lake Huron. Hoping to spend as much of the summer here as I can. I have been waiting for so long to get back here, where the air is clean, the sky is wide open, and of course the beautiful lake sunrises, and sunsets. Here, I am hoping that we can somehow heal a little and make some sense out of life. That is a post for later, when I feel I can actually talk about what the healing is all about. When I pulled up to our place, these flowers are first thing I saw, and it somehow reminded me of my Mom. My Mom was diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease about 2 years ago. Many people do not know that it is a disease that takes your mind, your memory, your dignity, and eventually turns the brain into the "broken" position permanently. The daffodil here is shining brightly in the sun, but with the sunlit shadows on the back of the flower. That is why it reminds me of my Mom. She is still shining, but the shadows represent each part of her memory that has been taken forever. The other daffodil is me standing beside her for as long as I can. I know the day will come when she will be truly alone mentally, but until that time I will keep reminding myself that she is truly "Standing Out in the Shadows", and always will for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment